Before diplomates can sit for their recertification examination, they need to have 240 continuing medical education (CME) credits submitted and approved by ABOS, with at least 40 of these credits coming from self-assessment examinations (SAE). Participation in Registries that are approved by the ABOS may be used for SAE credits.
Key criteria for Registry approval by ABOS:
- Includes four basic components of practice improvement: measure, assess and educate, plan improvement and re‐measure.
- Allows a diplomate to review outcome of treatment and/or performance data from his/her own practice collected over a relevant period of time defined by the sponsors or authors of the practice improvement activity.
- Allows assessment of performance in practice for an orthopaedic topic, procedure, or diagnosis, and defines an appropriate time frame or volume of patient interaction to provide relevant information to assess performance.
- Focuses on defined metrics. Options for assessment include clinical outcome, patient reported outcome, process improvement, improvement in patient experience, or other quality improvement activity. Cost reduction measures may be employed if in conjunction with quality measures.
- Includes a mechanism for the diplomate to receive performance data and apply the results to improvement in practice.
- Includes a mechanism for assessing performance or comparing the diplomate’s performance with peers or relevant benchmarks, and educational resources to support performance in practice.
ABOS Approved Registries
- Function and Outcomes Research for Comparative Effectiveness in Total Joint Replacement (FORCE TJR)
- Michigan Arthroplasty Registry Collaborative Quality Initiative (MARCQI)
- St. Francis Hospital & Medical Center’s Orthopedic Registry, Data Acquisition & Information Search Engine (D.A.I.S.E.)
- Setting Scoliosis Straight Foundation-Setting Scoliosis Straight-Surgeon Performance Program
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery-The AAOS Registry Program
- University of Rochester Medical Center MOC Part IV Portfolio URMC Patient Reported Outcomes Measurement System (PROMIS). For more information at URMC PROMIS, contact Judy_Baumhauer@URMC.Rochester.edu.