Adding cases to Scribe when applying to take a Part II examination
Accessing Your Case List
- After logging into the ABOS website, click on the Part II tab.
- Before registering patients, please add all the hospitals in which you perform surgical procedures. To do so, click on the Scribe Case List Tool link. You will then be brought to the Scribe Case List System home page. Click the Add Hospital link to ADD THE HOSPITALS IN WHICH YOU OPERATE. These hospitals will then be available for selection when registering patients.
- To register patients for ABOS Case Collection, go to https://www.abos.org/p (note ” / p”), and login with the username and password displayed when you click on your Part II tab. You may distribute this login information to surgical schedulers or staff who may be registering patients for you. REGISTER PATIENTS PREOPERATIVELY OR PERIOPERATIVELY. If you begin registering patients before you have entered your hospitals, then you may select “Other” as the hospital when registering patients — you will be able to change the hospital selection for each patient later in Scribe once you have added the appropriate hospital.
- YOU MUST ENTER ALL CONSECUTIVE SURGICAL CASES FROM ALL HOSPITALS/SURGERY CENTERS IN WHICH YOU OPERATE DURING YOUR ENTIRE CASE COLLECTION PERIOD. Every time you take a case to the operating room, you must add a new case and complete the entire page, even if the reason you take the patient to the operating room for a second time is a complication to the first case already submitted.
- After operating on a patient, return to the Scribe Case List System by clicking the Scribe Case List Tool link from the Part II tab to enter the information about the case. Be sure to update follow-up/complication/re-operation/re-admission information near the end of the collection period. ALL CASES MUST BE COMPLETE (EVERY REQUIRED FIELD FOR THE CASE COMPLETED) IN ORDER FOR YOUR CASE LIST TO BE ABLE TO BE SUBMITTED.
Entering a New Case
- From www.abos.org/p, login with your assigned patient registration username and password, which can be found on your Part II tab, and complete and submit a patient registration form.
Completing a Case
- Login to your main account at https://www.abos.org, click the Part II tab, click the Scribe Case List Tool link, and click on case of a patient who has been registered. Enter patient information in ALL fields. If all fields are not completed, the case will show up in the incomplete cases list until all fields are complete. You will not be able to finalize your case list until all cases are completed.
- Enter Patient Initials: Only enter the initials of the patient. Do not enter the full name of the patient.
- Enter Patient ID: Use the same patient ID as the hospital’s medical record ID for all procedures. This ID allows the Medical Records Director to cross-reference the cases you input into Scribe with his/her records at the hospital for verification. Do not use full social security numbers to protect patient confidentiality.
- Enter Patient’s Age: Patient’s age at the time of the procedure in years.
- Select Patient Gender: Male/Female.
- Enter Date of Surgery/Treatment: This is the date that the surgery was performed.
- Enter Diagnosis (ICD-9/ICD-10) Code: Only one code is required. If multiple diagnoses apply for the same operating room setting, enter each code. Enter the primary diagnosis first.
- Enter Treatment (CPT) Code: Only one code is required. If multiple procedures were performed during the same operating room setting, enter each code. Enter the primary procedure first.
- Select Anatomic Region: Select the region on which the surgery was performed. If multiple regions were operated on during the same operating room setting, select the primary one.
- Enter Date of Last Follow-up: Enter the date of the last follow-up with the patient. This is the last date you saw the patient before you finalize your case list.
- Enter Description of Operation: In 100 characters or fewer, briefly describe the operation only. Do not include any patient history.
- Select Anesthetic Complications: If there were anesthetic complications, select each complication that applies, and classify the severity of each complication using the dropdown menu. If there were no anesthetic complications, select “No Anesthetic Complications”
- Select Surgical/Technical Complications: If there were surgical/technical complications, select each complication that applies and classify the severity of each complication using the dropdown menu, and you must enter a description in the Explanation of Complication field. If there were no surgical/technical complications, select “No Surgical Complications”.
- Select Medical/Systemic Complications: If there were medical/systemic complications, select each complication that applies, classify the severity of each complication using the dropdown menu, and you must enter a description in the Explanation of Complication field. If there were no medical/systemic complications, select “No Medical Complications”.
- Select Unexpected Re-Operation: If there was an unexpected re-operation within 90 days of the date of surgery, select “Yes”, and you must enter a description in the Explanation of unexpected re-operation field. If there was no unexpected re-operation within 90 days, select “No”.
- Select Unexpected Re-Admission: If there was an unexpected re-admission within 90 days of the date of surgery, select “Yes” and you must enter a description in the Explanation of unexpected re-admission field. If there was no unexpected re-admission within 90 days, select “No”.
- Reset: This will clear all fields of data entered so you may start over.
- Save Case: This allows you to save the information entered for each case. If the case is not completed at this time, you may go back to the case and enter missing information.
- Complete Case: All information has been entered for this case.
- Incomplete cases always appear on the Scribe home page.
- Cases can be completed by clicking on the Scribe Case # of the case and entering the missing information.
- ALL cases entered must be complete before the list can be finalized.
Editing/Completing a Case by Hospital
- Click the “Edit” tab.
- Select the hospital where the case was performed.
- A list of all cases for that hospital will be displayed.
- Case list can be sorted by Scribe Case #, Patient ID, or Date of Surgery by clicking the corresponding header at the top of the case list.
- Click on a “Scribe Case #” to edit the case information.
- A case to be edited can also be found by searching as described below.
Searching for a Case
- On any page in the Scribe Case List, cases can be searched by Patient ID, Hospital Name, and/or Surgery Date.
- A list of all cases matching the search criteria entered will be displayed.
- Each case may be viewed and/or edited by clicking the “Scribe Case #”.
Print Case Lists
- Print your case list for each hospital after all cases have been entered and completed to review the information entered prior to finalization.
- Statistics on all cases with complications reported will appear at the bottom of each case list.
- Select the “Print Cases” tab.
- Click the hospital corresponding to the case list you would like to print.
- Case lists will open in Adobe Acrobat Reader, which should be installed on your computer to view the case list.
- Once all information has been entered and verified to be correct, the case list can be finalized. Case lists with incomplete cases cannot be finalized. (Every required field must be completed.)
- Select the “Finalize List” tab.
- Click on “Print Case List” for Signature to print the signature form for the Medical Records Director to sign, his/her signature to be witnessed, and you to sign together with the completed case list, to verify that the surgeries listed in the Scribe finalized case list are all the consecutive surgeries performed by you at that facility during the case collection period.
- Once you have completed all cases listed in Scribe, print the Case List for Signature, take this list to the appropriate hospital’s Medical Records Director for verification. The Medical Records Director is to verify that those surgeries were performed by you at his/her facility and that the list is comprised of all the consecutive surgeries performed by you at the facility during the case collection period. Once the cases have been verified, he/she must sign the appropriate place on the signature page of the finalized list, the signature must be witnessed, and the applicant’s signature is required in the appropriate place on the signature page.
- After all signatures are complete, you will need to scan this signature page to your computer. You must upload this page in .pdf format into your Scribe case list. Go online to www.abos.org, enter your username and password, click “Login”, then the “Part II” tab, followed by the “Scribe Case List Tool” link on the left side of the page. Beside the appropriate hospital and/or surgery center name, click on the “View/Upload” button. When the browser screen appears, click on “Browse” and find the applicable scanned copy of the signature page with signatures on your computer, highlight this signature page, and click “Upload”. This process will import the signature page into your Scribe case list. You must do this for EACH hospital/surgery center. This process MUST be completed by the deadline.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with you name, contact information, and a description of any technical issues you may experience.
- Reach technical support by phone at (919) 822-8028.