Please read the Rules and Procedures. The Application and Case List must be finalized and the ApplicationFee must be submitted online by 4 pm ET on November 2, 2020. There is a late deadline of 4 pm ET on November 16, 2020, with an additional $350 late fee. Upon completion of the online Application, submit your Application online, electronically sign the signature page, and pay the non-refundable Application Fee online with a credit card. After payment successfully goes through, you will be emailed a receipt. You will also receive an email that your Application has been received.
Complete information must be provided for all items. If an item doesn’t apply to you, leave it blank. To access the Application, log in to your ABOS Dashboard, scroll down to Part 4: Evidence of Performance in Practice, and click on Go To Application.
The Application cannot be submitted until you have 240 CME/SAEs approved by the ABOS staff, your Case List is finalized and the signed Certification Page(s) have been uploaded in .PDF format into your Case List. The Scribe Case List Tool is found on your Diplomate Dashboard by scrolling down to Part 4: Evidence of Performance in Practice, and click on Go To Case List. To view the Case List requirements and how to create your Case List, view this page.
If your Application and required documents are complete when they are submitted online, you will be notified by the ABOS via email AFTER your Application and Case Lists have been processed (usually 2-3 weeks). If the Application is not complete, you will receive an email asking for you to either enter missing information or to change incorrect information. Provided we have a completed application, in April 2021, you will be notified that your Application has been approved/not approved by the Credentials Committee and what your next steps are.
It is your responsibility to notify the ABOS office of any change to your address, email address, practice association, status of hospital privileges, and/or hospital affiliation (including new affiliations you may acquire) that occurs after you have submitted your Application.
Prior to starting the Application, the ABOS recommends having the following items available to save time:
1. Medical License(s)—State/province, number, and original date obtained for all licenses held since most recent Certification or Recertification.
2. Current hospital appointments:
- Hospitals in order of frequency of usage.
- Information for all hospitals/surgery centers where you are on the staff.
- Current (within this calendar year) verification of appointment letter from the Medical Staff Office documenting your original appointment date, type of appointment, and a statement of good standing. This documentation must be uploaded in .pdf format into this application. View a sample verification of appointment letter.
- This letter cannot be an original appointment or reappointment letter.
- Name and email address for the Chief of Staff, Chief of Orthopaedics, and Chief of Surgery. Email addresses are required to enable the ABOS to send peer review evaluations. Please do not list their administrator’s email address.
3. Previous hospital appointments since last certification/recertification (if applicable). Current letter (dated within this calendar year) from each previous hospital/surgery center medical staff office since last certification/recertification indicating your original appointment date and type and that you left in good standing.
4. All office practice locations since most recent Certification or Recertification, beginning with most current practice location first.
- Start dates of practice at each location.
- Name and email address of partners for each practice location (12 maximum).
- Do not list yourself if you are in solo practice.
- If your practice partners are retired, or you do not have an email address, etc. do not list them. Each partner must have an email address or else the application cannot be submitted.
5. Names of five ABOS Diplomates in your geographical practice area (within a 50-mile radius), not previously listed on this Application who are familiar with your work, and are not in your practice. These can be Diplomates whom you have referred patients to and/or have consulted with on any cases. They will be contacted for Peer Review.