Adding cases to Scribe when applying to take a recertification examination
Accessing Your Case List
- Log into the ABOS website
- Click on the MOC tab
- If you have not already, select your exam pathway
- Click the Scribe link or the Enter Cases button.
This will bring you to the Scribe home where you can begin your case list. The number of total, complete and incomplete cases will always appear first with a list of incomplete cases underneath.
Entering a New Case
- Clicking the Add Case tab will go to a blank case list form where a new case is created and added.
- Enter patient information in all fields; if all fields are not complete the case will show up in the incomplete case until all fields are complete.
- Enter Patient Initials: Do not enter in full name of patient
- Enter Patient ID: Use the same patient ID as the hospital’s medical record ID for all procedures. This allows the Medical Records Director to cross-reference the cases you input into Scribe with his/her records at the hospital for verification. Do not use full social security numbers to protect patient confidentiality.
- Enter Patient’s Age: Patient’s age at time of procedure in years.
- Select Patient Gender.
- Enter Date of Surgery/Treatment: Multiple procedures on the same patient and on the same date should be entered as one case.
- Enter Diagnosis (ICD-9 or ICD-10) Code: Only one code is required.
- Enter Treatment (CPT) Code: Only one code is required.
- Enter date of last Follow up: The last time the patient was seen.
- Enter Description of Operation: In 100 characters or less, list the procedures performed in the surgery.
- Indicate if there were unexpected re-operation within 90 days. If yes, a box will ope where you need to explain it.
- Indicate if there were unexpected re-admission within 90 days. If yes, a box will ope where you need to explain it.
- Indicate if there were any anesthetic complications. If yes, check the box next to the type(s) of complications(s). Then, use the pulldown menu next to the choice to classify the severity. Finally, explain the complication.
- Indicate if there were any surgical/technical complications. If yes, check the box next to the type(s) of complications(s). Then, use the pulldown menu next to the choice to classify the severity. Finally, explain the complication.
- Indicate if there were any medical complications. If yes, check the box next to the type(s) of complications(s). Then, use the pulldown menu next to the choice to classify the severity. Finally, explain the complication.
Reset: Clear all fields with data entered and start all over
Delete Case: Removes this case from the list
Save Case: Case will be listed in incomplete case list and missing information can be entered at a later time
Complete Case: All information is entered for this case
Incomplete cases always appear on the Scribe home page.
Cases can be completed by clicking on the Scribe Case # of the particular case.
All cases must be complete before list can be finalized.
Editing a Completed Case by Hospital
- Click the Edit Case tab.
- Select the hospital at which the case was performed.
- A list of all cases for that hospital will be displayed
- Case list can be ordered by Scribe Case #, Patient ID or Date of Surgery, just click the corresponding header at the top of the case list
- Click on a Scribe Case # to go into a case and edit it
A case to be edited can also be found by searching as described below
Searching For a Case
On any page in the Scribe case list, cases can be searched by Patient ID, Hospital Name, and Surgery Date
A list of all cases matching the search criteria entered will be displayed
These cases can be viewed and/or edited by clicking the Scribe Case #
Print Case Lists
Print a case list for each hospital and review entered information prior to finalization. Statistics on all cases with complication reported will appear at the bottom of each case list.
- Select the Print Cases tab.
- Click Print Case List
- Click the hospital whose case list you want printed.
Case lists will open in Adobe Acrobat Reader which you need installed on your computer in order to view the case list.
**Case List collection begins on January 1st of the calendar year that you plan to submit your Recertification Application, which are due by December 1. The ABOS recommends that you do this in Year 7 of your 10-year MOC Cycle, but can be done in Year 8 or 9 as well.**
Recertification Candidates will begin collecting with the first surgical case of the calendar year and collect all consecutive surgical cases in that year up to the point where the Recertification Candidate reaches 75 cases. Candidates may stop collecting cases when either:
- They have collected 75 cases or
- On November 30, they have collected at least 35 cases.
Those who are not able to reach the 35-case minimum from January 1-November 30 should contact their ABOS Certification Specialist for further guidance.
If after entering 75 cases you realize that you forgot to include a case, you must delete the most recent case. Then you will be able to add the case that was forgotten.
Once all information has been entered and verified to be correct, the case list can be finalized. Case lists with incomplete cases cannot be finalized. After finalization the case list is locked and no changes can be made. If an error is found after finalization, please call the ABOS.
Click the Finalize List tab and then click on Finalize list to finalize
Print your Finalized Case List with Signature Page by clicking on the Print Cases tab and clicking on “Print Case List for Signatures and Upload for Medical Records Certification.” This will print out the case list with the signature page for the Medical Records Director, Witness and Applicant’s signatures. (The case list does NOT need to be notarized.)
Once the case list(s) is signed by each hospital or surgical center, you will need to scan the signature page and save in .pdf format. You must then upload the .pdf online by logging back in to your scribe. Click on “Print Case List for Signatures and Upload for Medical Records Certification.” This will bring you to the upload link for each hospital/surgical center. Click on the “Upload Signed One Page for Hospital ….” You will see a browse screen, click on “Upload” and find your scanned copy on your computer. Select your file and click “Open.” This must be done for each hospital/surgery center. Deadline for submission is December 1 of the year prior to the year you plan on taking the recertification examination.
Click the help tab to enter a trouble ticket or contact technical support.