- For more information, including a link to the Rules and Procedures, click here.
- Log in to your ABOS Diplomate Dashboard and click on “Subspecialty Certification” on the orange left-hand menu.
- Open the application and enter all requested information.
- Select your fellowship from the drop-down menu. Upload a PDF copy of your Hand Fellowship Certificate in item 6. (INITIAL HAND APPLICANTS ONLY)
- List all state medical licenses you have held since residency. Physicians practicing in Canada, give information on Provincial Licenses.
- Check the box most applicable to your current practice.
- List current hospital/surgery center staff appointments.
- Request letters of recommendation from those listed in item 11. Upload PDFs of the letters onto your application where indicated.
- Answer questions 11-20.
- Agree to Terms and Conditions by clicking each box.
- Save the application.
- Open the Scribe Case List program and enter the requested information for all of your hand cases for any consecutive 12 month period between January 1, 2021 and January 31, 2023. (INITIAL HAND APPLICANTS ONLY)
- Finalize your Scribe Case List. Minimum case requirements must be met to finalize.
- Submit the application. The link to pay the Application Fee will appear. Enter your cred card information for the application and credentialing fee payment of $450 (Visa, Mastercard, or American Express).
- A receipt will be emailed to you.
Please allow 3-4 weeks for processing.
Note: The ABOS allows Diplomates who qualify for the Initial Surgery of the Hand Subspecialty Examination to utilize that Examination and their MOC Part III assessment if taken in an applicable year. For more information, please contact your Certification Specialist.
Checklist for Subspecialty Certification in Surgery of the Hand
- Pass Part I and Part II.
- Maintain a full and unrestricted license to practice medicine.
- Have completed a one-year ACGME-accredited fellowship in hand and actively engaged in the practice of hand surgery in orthopaedics.
- Submit case list as specified in Rules and Procedures.
- Apply online and submit fees by February 1. (Late deadline of February 15.)
- Receive letter of notification of admission to examination in April.
- Pay examination fee on your Password-Protected Portal by May 15.
- Scheduling permits posted in July.
- Examination administered at Prometric Testing Centers.
- Results available at abos.org in December.